How Do Metal Detectors Work
A modern day office space has to take specific security measures to protect staff and equipment or machinery. Metal detectors are assumed to be high risk security and anti-terror products and not necessary for regular offices. Places like airports, banks, and even clothing shops have this walk through security system for the safety of the people inside a place, and to ensure that company property does not leave the building without authorization. Metal detectors play a big role in access control and installing them will provide comprehensive protection for your property.
There is a range of metal detectors available, most of them are used for security screening to detect concealed metal objects. The different metal detectors work on the concepts of electricity and magnetism, but the main types of metal detectors are Very Low Frequency (VLF) and Pulse Induction (PI). Both of these types of metal detectors consist of a transmitter and receiver, but they work in different ways.
The following are a few points on how VLF and PI metal detectors work:
Very Low Frequency (VLF)
- One of the most popular metal detectors that are currently in use.
- The transmitter coil works by looping a magnetic field above and below ground.
- It can detect objects with a very low magnetic pulse; can be highly accurate and sensitive.
Pulse Induction (PI)
- This metal detector is one of the most expensive types currently available.
- This metal detector relies on the theory of echolocation; it is dependent on one or more coils to work as one by sending short bursts of powerful current through the coils.
- The pulsing motion lets this metal detector only detect signals it has generated, if there is a metal object in the ground it will interfere with the current generated.
Boomgate Systems is one of the leading security systems companies in the industry and we manufacture a range of high-quality vehicle and pedestrian security systems. We have metal detectors that detect metal objects very accurately. For more information on our metal detectors, contact us.